|Degrees & Certificates||About SFI||Teen Programs||Admissions|
|Extension Classes||Student Life||Faculty||Films|
Master of Music in Film Composition Application
Who Should Apply?
- Composers/musicians with an undergraduate degree and advanced training in music.
- Individuals seeking to launch a career in composing, orchestrating, and producing music for film, TV, video games, and other media (web and flash-based media, advertising, corporate materials, etc.)
- Active Film/Media Composers with some experience seeking the thorough, formal training needed to take their careers and work to a higher level.
Please complete the online form below to apply for the Master of Music in Film Composition at the Seattle Film Institute. (If you need to apply to The Master of Arts (MA) in Producing for Film or the Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Filmmaking please go to the other Graduate Programs Application page.)
We offer rolling admissions, so applying early is the best strategy. Applications are accepted starting in late November.
Once we receive your application and all the supporting documents and portfolio materials, we will process it and inform you of our decision within within 2 - 3 weeks.
Once the class is filled, we start a waiting list. However, receipt of your tuition deposit is the only way to guarantee a space in the class once you have been accepted.
ATTENTION INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
We now require the TOEFL for all international students unless you have earned your undergraduate degree from an English speaking university, college, or school. Our institution code is B443.
- 100-120 - Accepted
- 80-99 - Accepted if scores for each section are not below 20
- 79 or below - Applicant may request an interview to prove English language competency
Master of Music Application Checklist:
To be considered for a graduate degree program, you must hold a four-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
You must also have earned a 2.5 cumulative grade point average (GPA), based on a 4.0 scale earned during the last half of the credits towards the undergraduate degree.
- All applicants to the Master of Music in Film Composition Program must submit the following materials:
- APPLICATION document (This online form, or print form and submit by mail).
- TWO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION: Whenever possible, your letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the Graduate Admissions Office by the letter writer. All letters of recommendation must arrive in a sealed envelope with the writer’s signature across the flap, whether sent directly or forwarded by the applicant.
Please submit three scores of your recent compositions that you feel represent you well as a composer. These works should demonstrate composing in different styles/genres and should be written for different instrumentations. Please mail directly to the Graduate Admissions office address below.
Include audio recordings of your works (MIDI or live performance). At least one recording must be using a live ensemble.
Application Processing Fee: US$50 check or money order made out to Seattle Film Institute.
TRANSCRIPTS: An official transcript from any and all colleges/universities attended with evidence of the minimum of an earned four-year baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution or U.S. equivalent.
This includes original transcripts from any institution where you might have taken credits that later transferred to another school. Whenever possible, your transcripts should come directly to the Graduate Admissions Office from the college/university of origin.
SEND ALL SUPPLEMENTARY APPLICATION MATERIAL INCLUDING TRANSCRIPTS AND LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (also for the print application form if you are NOT applying online) TO:
Pacific Northwest Film Scoring Program
Seattle Film Institute
3210 16th Ave. W., Seattle, WA 98119
|Recommendation Form.pdf (Required download)||285.18 KB|
|Online Checklist.pdf||182.34 KB|